PROFOIL Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Is a PC version of PROFOIL available?
- Not yet. Hopefully, someday I will get around to writing a manual
for a PC version of the code.
- If I have coordinates, how can I input those to PROFOIL-WWW?
- PROFOIL only does design and has no capabilities for the analysis of
- How can I obtain the airfoil performance?
- The airfoil performance characteristics (viscous results) can
be predicted with post-processing analysis tools like the Eppler code, Mark
Drela's XFOIL, and others.
- How can I get the Eppler code or XFOIL?
- The latest version Eppler code discussed in Eppler, R.
(1990), Airfoil Design and Data, Springer-Verlag, New York
is available from Dr. Richard Eppler. An earlier version of the
code was reported in Eppler, R. and Somers, D. M. (1980), "A
Computer Program for the Design and Analysis of Low-Speed
Airfoils," NASA TM-80210, August. For more information,
contact: Prof. Dr. Richard Eppler, Leibnizstr. 84, 70193
- For information on XFOIL click here.
- A good discussion of the differences between the Eppler code
and XFOIL has been given by Martin Hepperle here.
- What other software for aerodynamic design and analysis is available?